These Modified classes are designed to help those being challenged by an injury or illness experience yoga despite the limitations* . If you deal with pain, fatigue, balance issues, a limited range of motion or other movement limiting conditions, these classes are for you. They sprung from my own desire for classes that would work for me on days when I felt fatigued, was in pain or in the midst of a movement limiting flare-up.
Classes are conducted at a slower pace and poses are modified using blocks, chairs, straps, bolsters and the wall (Examples). Small class size allows for more personal attention when needed. Class is offered in a Chair or Mat version. These classes are designed for adults of any age, not just seniors.
* Please note: these Classes are Not Appropriate For:
- Individuals with heart or cardiac conditions
- Individuals with brain or spinal trauma
- Wheelchair bound individuals who cannot transfer independently, care for their personal needs or independently move their extremities as indicated in next bullet.
- Any individual who cannot independently move extremities to the following degree: at least one arm to shoulder or chest height; at least one leg 4 inches off the ground
Our goal is to achieve a “regular” practice, using a chair instead of a mat. Students tell me this is different from any Chair practice they’ve tried. Beneficial for anyone with fatigue or difficulty getting up and down. 95% of poses are done in a chair. Participants must be ambulatory or able to self-propel in a wheelchair and transfer independently and attend to their personal needs.
- Tuesdays, 1 – 2 pm
- Thursdays, 11 – 12
Mat Yoga: for days when you have a bit more energy and are able to stand for several minutes (with or without a balance aid), and can comfortably move between standing and kneeling/sitting on the floor. Class moves at a slow, mindful pace with LIMITED transitions between the floor and standing)
- Tuesdays, 11:30 – 12:30
- Thursdays, 12:30 – 1:30 pm